Saturday, April 07, 2007

TV: Dharma & Greg - 1st Season (1997)

DVD: 3 Discs - Double Sided
Dharma & Greg - Season One

"So what do we do now?"
"I don't know. What do you usually do?"
"Me? Well, I definitely don't fly to Reno for pie. I mean, I'd usually exchange phone numbers with you. We'd start dating. Things would go pretty well at first, until I started calling you too much... then you'd get annoyed and start screening your calls. So I call you really late 'cause I know you'll be home. You pick up. I panic, hang up. You *69 me. I'm too embarassed to ever talk to you again, so we break up."
"Let's not do that."

Review: A show about opposites attracting, a federal prosecuter from a rich family marrying the yoga teacher from a hippie family. It sounds like it could be like a boring soap opera, but it is very funny. What makes it a great show is the interaction between Dharma & Greg and their parents. There is plenty of laughter mined from each set of parents as they are forced to interact with each other due to their children's shotgun marriage.

"I keep feeling like there's something I should be doing."
"Gregory, relax. You're supposed to feel useless on your wedding day. It prepares you for the rest of your married life."
"Oh, thanks, Dad. That's nice. I hope that's part of your toast."
"I gotta tell ya, Greg, your old man has a point. That's why Abby and I never got married. Too stifling. It becomes all about roles."
"Oh, admit it, Finkelstein, your roles are in the same ringer as the rest of us."

"Look! Look at these. They're awful!"
"Kitty, they're just flowers. Nobody cares."
"And by 'nobody', you mean you?"
"Yes."
"Well, let me tell you something, Edward. Everybody cares, and by 'everybody", I mean me."

"Sir, I would like to apologize for all the injustices your people have suffered at the hands of my people."
"Larry, your people were in Latvia being chased by Cossacks."
"But if they were here, they would have joined in. My people are joiners, and for that I apologize."

"Calm down, Larry."
"Calm down. That's what you said when she married a U.S. attorney. That's what you said when she had the big country club wedding. Where do I draw the line, Abby? When she's rounding us up with the rest of the proletariat and having us shovel out the stables of the uber-class?"

"You need the office for a little desktop publishing, huh?"
"You were listening?"
"It's not his fault, honey. You were very vocal."
"Ow! Ow! Ow! There's a stapler in my ass."

"Hey Jane?"
"Yeah, Pete?"
"What do you say you and me, we give it a shot? I mean, a real shot."
"You know I would, but I won a trip to Club Med for Christmas and I really want to stay single for that."

3 1/2 out of 4 Stars

No comments: