Sunday, September 20, 2020

Film: Mystery Date (1991)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9


Review: I was a sucker for these types of date movies when I was young and it still holds up.  Ethan Hawke plays Tom, a young man who has a crush on his next door neighbor but is too shy to ask her out. When his sophisticated older brother comes home from law school, he sets Tom up on the date with her and provides him with his ID so Tom can take her to a popular bar. The date quickly goes sideways when Tom finds a dead body in the trunk of his brother's car and the target of the cops and his brother's unsavory associates in a case of mistaken identity.

Quotes:
"Well, fine. Well then I'll just go over there and say, 'Hi, I'm Tom and you don't know me, but I've been spying on you for a couple of months now and I am finding you very attractive in a very real, very hormonal way.' And then she'll slap me silly."
"There are worse things in this world than getting slapped by a beautiful woman, you'll see."

"Alright, now the only problem with glasses is that they tend to fly off when a woman slaps you. Just don't flinch, you take it like a man, come off it smiling."

"You like lingerie, Tommy?"
"Well, I've really only read about it."

"We spend hours making ourselves look completely different, and then we go into some dark place where we really can't see each other anyway, and then we drink so we don't know if the other person is really interesting or just seems interesting 'cause they're pretending to be interested in the person that we're pretending to be."
"Uh, right. So I guess there's no getting around it. We're gonna have to lie to each other."

"...all because your loins led you out tonight."
"It was not my loins! I was... curious."
"Ah! In women, curiosity is an urge that springs from the loins."
"What, and not in men?"
"In men, everything is an urge that springs from the loins."

"That was awesome! We were almost killed!"
"Well, the night is still young."

3 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: