Sunday, August 02, 2020

Film: The Shining (1980)

Blu-Ray

Review: I finally saw this classic movie about a caretaker in an isolated hotel in the mountains who goes crazy during the dark winter months and tries to kill his family. Since I am not a fan of horror, it took me a long time to get around to it. Like all of Stanley Kubrick's films, it looks beautiful with amazing performances by the actors, led by Jack Nicholson.

Quotes:
"I don't suppose they told you anything in Denver about the tragedy we had in the Winter of 1970."
"I don't believe they did."
"My predecessor in this job left a man named Charles Grady as the Winter caretaker. And he came up here with his wife and two little girls, I think were eight and ten. And he had a good employment record, good references, and from what I've been told he seemed like a completely normal individual. But at some point during the winter, he must have suffered some kind of a complete mental breakdown. He ran amuck and killed his family with an axe. Stacked them neatly in one of the rooms in the West wing and then he, he put both barrels of a shot gun in his mouth."

"Dad?"
"Yes?"
"Do you like this hotel?"
"Yes, I do. I love it. Don't you?"
"I guess so."
"Good. I want you to like it here. I wish we could stay here forever... and ever... and ever."

"Wendy, let me explain something to you. Whenever you come in here and interrupt me, you're breaking my concentration. You're distracting me, and it will then take me time to get back to where I was. You understand?"
"Yeah."
"Now, we're going to make a new rule. When you come in here and you hear me typing... or whether you DON'T hear me typing, or whatever the FUCK you hear me doing, when I'm in here, it means that I am working, THAT means don't come in. Now, do you think you can handle that?"
"Yeah."
"Good. Now why don't you start right now and get the fuck out of here? Hm?"

"God, I'd give anything for a drink. I'd give my goddamned soul for just a glass of beer."

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

"I just wanna go back to my room!"
"Why?"
"Well, I'm very confused, and I just need time to think things over!"
"You've had your whole fucking life to think things over, what good's a few minutes more gonna do you now?"
"Please! Don't hurt me!"
"I'm not gonna hurt you."
"Stay away from me!"
"Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in!"

"Little pigs, little pigs, let me come in. Not by the hair of your chiny-chin-chin? Well then I'll huff and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in."

"Here's Johnny!"

"Larry, just between you and me, we got a very serious problem with the people taking care of the place. They turned out to be completely unreliable assholes."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: