Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Film: Sideways (2004)

DVD: Anamorphic
Sideways (Widescreen Edition)

Review: This is a great movie by one of my favorite directors. I loved Thomas Haden Church in this movie, but I have been a big fan of his from the TV shows of "Wings" and "Ned and Stacey". Great Dialogue with excellent chemistry between all the actors.

Quotes:
"This weekend is not about me. It is about you. I'm gonna show you a good time. We're gonna drink a lot of good wine. We're gonna play some golf. We're gonna eat some great food and enjoy the scenery and we are going to send you off in style, mon frere."
"And get your bone smooched."

"If they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot."
"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!"

"Let me show you how this is done. First thing, hold the glass up and examine the wine against the light. You're looking for color and clarity. Just, get a sense of it. OK? Uhh, thick? Thin? Watery? Syrupy? Okay? Alright. Now, tip it. What you're doing here is checking for color density as it thins out towards the rim. Uhh, that's gonna tell you how old it is, among other things. It's usually more important with reds. OK? Now, stick your nose in it. Don't be shy, really get your nose in there. Mmm... a little citrus... maybe some strawberry... passion fruit... and, oh, there's just like the faintest soupçon of like asparagus and just a flutter of a, like a, nutty Edam cheese..."
"Wow. Strawberries, yeah! Strawberries."

"Quaffable, but uh... far from transcendent."

"You know, can I ask you a personal question, Miles?"
"Sure."
"Why are you so in to Pinot? I mean, it's like a thing with you."
"Uh, I don't know, I don't know. Um, it's a hard grape to grow, as you know. Right? It's uh, it's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It's, you know, it's not a survivor like Cabernet, which can just grow anywhere and uh, thrive even when it's neglected. No, Pinot needs constant care and attention. You know? And in fact it can only grow in these really specific, little, tucked away corners of the world. And, and only the most patient and nurturing of growers can do it, really. Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot's potential can then coax it into its fullest expression. Then, I mean, oh its flavors, they're just the most haunting and brilliant and thrilling and subtle and... ancient on the planet."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: