Thursday, April 12, 2007

Film: The Ref (1994)

DVD: Non-Anamorphic
The Ref

"How can we both be in the marriage and I'm miserable and you're content?"
"Luck?"

"I thought moms we're supposed to be nice, and sweet, and patient. I know loan-sharks that are more forgiving than you."

Review: One of my favorite Christmas movies ever. The dark humor of a thief having to deal with a bickering couple he took hostage is wonderfully funny. Having to pose as their marriage counselor when their family shows up for Christmas dinner is icing on the cake. This is the movie that introduced me to the wonderful acting of Kevin Spacey.

"That's not true. We had our own restaurant once. An Italian restaurant. Of course, I would have preferred French, but..."
"What are we, girlfriends? Do I give a shit about this? No!"

"You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it."

4 out of 4 Stars

No comments: