Monday, January 29, 2007

Film: Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)

Blu-Ray

Review: This is a great movie that introduced Hugh Grant to America and is the best of the British Rom-Coms. This movie is fun to watch over and over. The comedy of the first two weddings is hilarious and the funeral is so well written.

Quotes:
"I've got a new theory about marriage. Two people are in love, they live together, and then suddenly one day, they run out of conversation."
"Uh-huh."
"Totally. I mean they can't think of a single thing to say to each other. That's it: panic! Then suddenly it-it occurs to the chap that there is a way out of the deadlock."
"Which is?"
"He'll ask her to marry him."
"Brilliant! Brilliant!"
"Suddenly they've got something to talk about for the rest of their lives."
"Basically you're saying marriage is just a way of getting out of an embarrassing pause in conversation."
"The definitive icebreaker."

"Where's Gareth?" 
"Torturing Americans." 
"How thoughtful of him."

"Splendid, I thought. What did you think?"
"I, thought, splendid! What did you think?"
"Splendid, I thought."

"Oh dear, what's the problem?"
"I was promised sex. Everybody said it. You'll be a bridesmaid, you'll get sex, you'll be fighting 'em off. But not so much as a tongue in sight."
"Well, I mean, if you fancy anything, I could always..."
"Oh, don't be ridiculous, Bernard. I'm not that desperate."

"Do you think there really are people who can just go up and say, 'Hi, babe. Name's Charles. This is your lucky night?'"
"Well, if there are, they're not English."

"A toast before we go into battle. True love. In whatever shape or form it may come. May we all in our dotage be proud to say, "I was adored once too."

"Dear Lord, forgive me for what I am about to, ah, say in this magnificent place of worship... Bugger! Bugger! Bugger, Bugger, Bugger, Bugger!"

4 out of 4 Stars

No comments: