Monday, May 21, 2007

Film: The Ten Commandments (1956)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9
The Ten Commandments (50th Anniversary Collection)

"Will you lose a throne because Moses builds a city?"
"The city that he builds shall bear my name, the woman that he loves shall bear my child. So let it be written, so let it be done."

Review: This is an old fashioned epic with the huge casts and sets. The movie is timeless even with the old-fashioned acting style of proclaiming your lines instead of living the role. I think Yul Brynner's role as Ramses is one of the best villains in cinema. The first half of the movie with a young Moses as Egyptian Prince is my favorite part.

"What change is there in me? Egyptian or Hebrew, I am still Moses. These are the same hands, the same arms, the same face that were mine a moment ago."

"It is not my son who will die, it is the first born of Egypt, it is your son, Nefretiri!"
"You would not dare strike Pharaoh's son!"
"In the hardness of his heart, Pharaoh has mocked God and brings death to his own son!"

3 1/2 out of 4 Stars

No comments: