Thursday, February 15, 2007

Film: Jaws (1975)

DVD: Anamorphic
Jaws (Widescreen Anniversary Collector's Edition)

"Out there is a Perfect Engine, an Eating Machine that is a miracle of evolution - it swims and eats and makes little baby sharks, that's all."

Review: It took me forever to see this movie, I think I saw all the Jaws sequels before seeing the original so I was kinda jaded when I finally saw the first one. It is on my second viewing that I began to appreciate it as more than a horror film. The movie builds very slowly but it just make the second half of the movie out on the boat all the more powerful. The Chum scene and the USS Indianapolis speech are movie magic.

"You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again...... So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

3 1/2 out of 4 Stars

No comments: