Friday, August 10, 2007

TV: Northern Exposure - 4th Season

DVD: 3 Discs
Northern Exposure - The Complete Fourth Season

"Aaah. Vanessa Redgrave. Ja, I like her. She's very mannish."

Review: This is another great season of Northern Exposure. "Nothing's Perfect", "Gross Point" and "The Big Feast" stand out as three of my favorites. This ensemble cast all work great together and the guest stars add spice to the show.

"I mean, call it what you like, okay? We could say human nature, the devil, whatever. People are simple incapable of prolonged sustained goodness. So this mission of yours, it's unachievable and to tell you the truth, it's medically ill-advised."
"Medically ill-advised?"
"Well, in your case, yes. I mean the cornerstone of your psyche is this unfocused, searing rage. I don't think I know of a more negative, reproachful individual. Your going completely against your grain. You are seriously jeopardizing your health."

"Okay. Maggie, who's nicer, men or women?"
"Oh, I get it. I'm supposed to say women, right? And then with sarcasm dripping from your lips, like battery acid, you'd belittle me and demean me, and rip my opinion to shreds with the precision of those razor-sharp German tools you like to lance boils with, right, Fleischman?"

"I just wish I had a normal family."
"Don't flatter yourself. Your family is no crazier than any other American nuclear unit, believe me."

"Fleischman, look... The fact is I just really couldn't reconcile my conflicted feelings about you. I mean, on one hand, there's this basic annoyance, this repulsion, and yet, on the other hand, there is this undeniable, chemical, primal, carnal attraction that pulled me into having sex with you. Great sex, incredible sex... But so what? I mean, what does that mean, hmm? Nothing."

"Oh, it's peaceful in here. Quiet. A man can hear himself think among these carcasses."
"I could, if you would shut up and let me do my job!"
"The smell of the beef, sawdust, takes me back to Tulsa."
"Ah, this is good. I'll start with this one, I can carve a fairly good tenderloin out of this."
"That my friend is USDA prime grade beef. It's not your French-speaking 'Charolais parlez-vous' crap. Or your beer-fed Nipponese Kobe beef. No. No. This was free-ranged down in Tampa. Trucked up here, finished off on oats and corn. Look at it, look at the texture. The marbling. The creamy white fat. Oh yeah! That, my friend, that is beef."

"Maurice J. Minnifield, our generous host, friend and employer. I am sure I join everyone here in saying thank you for these very fine eats and drinks. You are a real American. You're an ex-Marine, an astronaut. You are America. You're rich, you're rapacious, you're progress without a conscience, paving everything in its path. Your five percent of the Earth's population, yet, consuming 25% of the Earth's natural resources. You pay allot of taxes, you do a lot of charity work, most of it's tax deductible but your heart's in the right place. One thing's for certain, chief, you have impeccable taste in the booze. Salutes."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: