Friday, August 10, 2007

TV: Northern Exposure - 1st Season

DVD: 2 Discs
Northern Exposure - The Complete First Season

"Listen, Joel, I wanna take this opportunity to be the first to welcome you here. When I heard we had a crack at a Jew doctor from New York City, well, I don't have to tell you, I jumped. You boys do outstanding work."
"Thanks?"

Review: It took me several attempts to get into this show when it was on TV. I thought the characters were too weird. I am glad I kept trying because as soon as it clicked I realized that is one of the best shows ever put on TV. A dramedy is the best word to describe this show.

Joel and Maggie's love-hate relationship is the rock of this show, but the other characters grow though the seasons to become of equal importance. I love the town hall meetings and Joel's fish-out-of water experiences with his new rural environment.

"Would you like me to rub this... all over you?"
"Yeah, that...that would be......... You would?"
"In your dreams, Fleischman."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: