Monday, November 09, 2015

Film: The Blood of Heroes (1988)

DVD: Full Screen


Review: This was a favorite of mine when it came out and I was happy to see it held up when I watched it again. In this dystopian sci-fi film, Joan Chen plays a young woman who plays for her local village's team in the only sport left in this post-apocalyptic world. When her team plays a roving team of professionals who visit her village, she convinces them to let her join them after their qwik is injured in the brutal bout. Rutger Hauer plays Sallow, the talented veteran who coaches her as they move from town to town playing the locals. When she learns that Sallow once played for the League in one of the underground cities, she talks the team into attempting a Challenge match for the scouts of the League. Unfortunately, the DVD has a bad transfer and the underground/night scenes are too dark.

Quotes:
"Your qwik is ruined. Can't run anymore. Spoiled... I've got speed. I can run. I'll qwik for you."
"He'll heal. He always does."
"Dog shit."

"Can't pass an old man?"
"I didn't see him."
"You've got to know where everybody is always."
"What if I can't?"
"They'll crush your skull."

"If he was in the League, why is he playing dog ranges in market towns now?"
"It was a long time ago, Sallow was very young."

"You made him leave the League because of a woman?"
"A special woman."
"Special?"
"An elegant lady."
"Sallow with an elegant lady? An elegant lady wouldn't be with him."
"You don't understand. It's different in the League. In the League you are almost one of them. Almost."

"I told you two juggers can't fuck after the game. It's doesn't work unless you like rubbing wounds against wounds."

"Gonzo!"
"Who wants to know?"
"You could have won in 20."
"You look like shit."
"I want a challenge. This is my qwik."
"They'll never accept, not with you?"
"So, he still remembers me?"
"Get out of the Red City. Old burns don't heal like young burns."
"Thought we were the same age, you and me."
"We used to be."
"Long time without a mirror?"

"This is ridiculous, no one comes to these things. They are not contests at all."
"Nevertheless, they can be quite brutal. Much more so than the League games."
"I don't like brutality. I like heroics. I like the blood of heroes."

"You protected him, you asshole."
"Lord Vile, I've broken juggers in half, smashed their bones and left the ground behind me wet with brains. I'd do anything to win. but I've never hurt a soul for any reason but to put a dog skull on a stake and I never will."
"But you didn't put any fucking dog skull on any fucking stake. No challenge has ever gone past the 26th stone. This one won't get 26 more."

"Walk... slowly."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: