Monday, January 30, 2012

Film: The Wrestler (2008)

Blu-Ray


Review: An amazing character study that gave me a whole new respect for wrestling and Mickey Rourke. Randy "The Ram" is an aging broken-down wrestler still holding onto his glory days from the 1980s as he continues to fight in the ring twenty years later. Marisa Tomei is excellent as an older stripper that he forms a bond with and who is entering the twilight of her career as well. The intense scene of Randy getting patched up in the locker room after his brutal match with the Necro Butcher is a graphic display of the mental and physical toll of his profession after the adrenaline high from the crowd has dissipated.

Quotes:
"As for as tonight, I don't know what you wanna do. I had a few ideas. I was thinking, you know, maybe just for the heat, I would give you a low blow, follow it up with a bulldog."
"Just bring the cheap heat, bro."
--------
"Maybe make your comeback right off there."
"Bang off the ropes, then super kick and, uh, Ram Jam, and then we go have a beer, okay?"
"That sounds great, man."
"You hang in there. You got a lot of ability."
"All right."
"Okay?"
"Thank you."
"Bless you."

"Oh, Jesus. You're bleeding. Oh!"
"Yeah, I got cut tonight."
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, it's nothing."
"They say wrestling's fake."
"Look at this. 1986, Denver Coliseum, Billy Bob Banjo hit me with a two-by-four. It had a loose nail in it, split my bicep right in the hell open. Look at that. I got a better one than that. Take a look at this here. 1988, okay? Orlando Civic Center. Mr. Magnificent threw me over the top ropes. I landed on my shoulder and cracked my clavicle right in half."
"Oh, my God. Does it hurt?"
"Well, it hurts when I breath, but, I mean, you know, you hear the roar of the crowd, you just motor through, you know?"

"Yeah! Goddamn, they don't make 'em like they used to."
"Fuckin' '80s, man. Best shit ever."
"Bet your ass, man. Gun N' Roses fuckin' rules."
"Crüe, Def Lep."
"Then that Cobain pussy had to come around and ruin it all, you know."
"Like there's something wrong with wanting to have a good time."
"I tell you something. I hated the fuckin' '90s."
"Nineties fuckin' sucked."

"I use to try and forget about you. I used to try to pretend that... you did not exist. But I can't. You're my girl. You're my little... You're my little girl. And now... I'm an old, broken-down piece of meat. And I'm alone. And I deserve to be all alone... I just don't want you to hate me... Okay?"

"I'm doing my thing. I'm going to work."
"Yeah, but... but your heart."
"My heart? My heart's still tickin'"
"Yeah, but the doctor said..."
"Listen, I know what I'm doing. And, you know, the only place I get hurt is out there. The world doesn't give a shit about me."
"I'm here. I'm really here. What do you call that?"
"Hey! You hear them? This is where I belong. I gotta go."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: