Saturday, August 11, 2007

TV: Northern Exposure - 6th Season

DVD: 5 Discs
Northern Exposure - The Complete Sixth Season

"Chris in the Morning taking you all the way up to the midnight hour. Today's headline. Sons of the Tundra fox hunt officially canceled due to lack of quarry. Chalk one up to the fox by TKO. That's right, Rusty the Red made a bold escape early this morning and is currently enjoying sanctuary at the house of Ruth-Ann Miller. For all the latest, keep those radios pinned to 570 on the AM dial. K-Bear, voice of the last frontier."

Review: Joel Fleischman's exit from show in this last season was very well written. An excellent send-off. I think the show could have lasted more seasons, but he was the spiritual heart of it.

"Harvard Medical School? What brings you to Alaska?"
"It's one of these trade-off programs. They pay for my education and I work it off here."
"Yeah, I've heard of those."
"I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, though. I've heard of guys getting stuck here three and four years."

"Do you believe in the Devil?"
"Pretty much, Shelly. You know, Leonard, he says you can't have a tug of war with no one at the other end of the rope."
"Do you think he could just be a guy who walks around and looks like a normal person?"
"You mean Mr. Brewster?"
"Did he tell you, too?"
"Well, all the pieces fit, Shelly."

"I've got a little chest cold. What have you got for it?"
"Well, let's see. Tincture of opium's good. Codeine. Oh, and heroin syrup. Why don't you try them all and see what works best?"
"Much obliged. Put them on my tab."

"What are we doing? Do you ever think about that?"
"Doing?"
"Just, us. You and me. I mean, it's been how many years? We're still sitting here, together. What for? I mean, you ever think about that?"
"Yeah, I think about that."
"I mean, is this going to be a struggle to the death? Is that what it is? Because frankly, I can't take it anymore. I can't. I'm exhausted."
"I know, it's crazy. It's like three steps forward and two steps back."
"I give up, I do. I give up... Marry me."

"It seems our esteemed physician has disappeared. Joel's gone A.W.O.L."
"Dr. Fleischman?"
"He paddled up the Chenga here to deliver a baby two weeks ago and I haven't heard from him since. And he refuses to answer radio transmissions."
"I hope he's not dead."
"He's gonna wish he was if I get my hands on him."

"Ask them if I just talk to myself. Go ahead. Ask your friend. I don't care. Ask them if he just talks, 'cause they'll say no. He doesn't just talk to hear himself talk anymore. But, Boy, you show up and Marilyn Whirlwind, winner of the US Open of Silence, you just shatter any inner peace that I've managed to find. Thanks a lot. You know. I really appreciate you coming. It's been a wonderful visit. Thanks a lot!"

"Look, look, look. You see it, don't you? It's right there."
"Okay. Okay, I see something. But New York? The jeweled city?"
"I don't know, but there it is, let's go... Come on."
"No. New York City, the thing you dreamt about day and night for the past five years. The one sustaining constant in your life. What ever that is, it's for you. That's your place. It's not mine."

"Hey, Walt, is it me, or is there anything crueler than a 13-year-old girl? I knew lifers in the joint who weren't as judgemental."

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: