Tuesday, January 01, 2013

TV: The Tudors - 1st Season (2007)

Enhanced 16x9 (4 Discs)


Review: A dramatic telling of Henry VIII as the young king of England as he pursues Anne Boleyn. This first season concerns Cardinal Wolsey's attempts to get an annulment from the Pope for King Henry and Queen Catherine's marriage. While the show takes a lot of artistic license, it is entertaining and interested me into learning more of the actual history.

Quotes:
"I intend to be a just ruler."

"Though I love Your Majesty and I'm loyal to you, in every way, I cannot disguise my distress and unhappiness."
"Well, you're going to have to."

"Is he handsome?"
"He certainly thinks so."
"Is he vain?"
"Your Majesty, he's French."

"Ah, Mr. Pace. I trust you're keeping a good eye on my interests?"
"Of course, Your Eminence. Like an eagle."
"I don't want an eagle, Mr. Pace. They can soar too high. Be a pigeon, and shit on everything."

"As a humanist, I have an abhorrence of war."
"As a king, I am forced to disagree."

"I won't sign it! I won't sign the treaty! Tell them I won't sign it!"
"Your Majesty..."
"Tell them!"
"Fine!! If you want the world to know that the King of England is easily changeable, shallow, intemperate, incapable of keeping his word! Then of course I will go and tell them. After all, I am merely Your Majesty's humble servant! "

"What we lack in men, we can more than make up for in ships. We are an island race, Cardinal. We have the best and bravest sailors in the world. I will have the greatest navy."

"Lady Anne, what are you doing here?"
"I have an audience with His Majesty?"
"What would a silly girl like you have to say to a king?"

"I make you this promise. When we are married, I will deliver you a son."

"Is this not Mademoiselle Anne? Enchanté. His Eminence, Cardinal Wolsey, has told me all about you, but he did not tell me how beautiful you are. For a Frenchman, that is almost a crime."
"But the French tell every woman she is beautiful. Is this not a crime also?"

"Your Majesty, I beg that you yield to the King's will."
"And what is his will?"
"As His Eminence proposes, that you join a religious community of your choosing and take a vow of perpetual chastity."
"You speak to me of chastity. Have you not a mistress and two children, Your Eminence?"

"I want you to go to Rome Mr. Cromwell. I want you to force his fucking holiness into submission. If necessary by telling him that if he does not grant me my fucking annulment, then England will withdraw its submission to Rome and I will withdraw my allegiance to him."

"Have you no kind things to say?"
"Kind?"
"To your wife, the mother of your child. You treat me so unkindly and in public neglect me."
"Katherine, you must accept the inevitable. The weight of academic opinion is against us. We were never legally man and wife. And the court will decide in my favour and if the court does not decide in my favour, I shall denounce the pope as a heretic and marry whom I please."

"I am... reminded of something Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him."

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: