Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Film: Above the Law (1988)

Blu-Ray


Review: Steven Seagal's first film, introducing the effective action template he would follow for his next several films, especially 'Out for Justice'. The story is simple, Nico, an ex-CIA agent during Vietnam turned Chicago police officer has uncovered a plot by some of his past associates to assassinate a senator. Using his Akido martial art skills, he takes down wave after wave of thugs, armed and unarmed, who attempt to stop him throughout the film. Entertaining and it has aged well.

Quotes:
"What the hell kind of high is this?"
"Sky-high. Military explosives. C-4, my man, C-4."

"This maniac should be wearing a number, not a badge."

"You're gonna need me."
"Need you? For what?"
"To get your ass outta jail."
"You think you can afford my bail?"

"I don't think you can take us all, badass."
"No, but I'll get an A for effort."

"Tell me something old buddy, do we kill our own senators now?"
"Why not? The Romans did."
"Are we the fucking Romans?"
"We're an empire too."

"Not one C.I.A. agent has ever been tried, much less accused of any crimes. You guys think you're above the law. Well, you ain't above mine."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: