Monday, September 29, 2008

Film: Pumping Iron (1977)

DVD: OAR - Full Screen
Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

"That was easy."
"Easy? You do one."

Review: This is an excellent documentary of the 1975 Mr. Olympia Bodybuilding contest between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno in South Africa. The first half of the film follows the confident Arnold training in Venice Beach and young challenger, Lou, training in New York. Arnold is hilarious and really showcases the talent that allowed him to become a movie star, businessman and Governor. It was great watching Arnold play mind games with his fellow competitors.

"You drink skim milk, don't you?
"No, I don't drink no milk."
"You don't drink any milk at all?"
"No milk, no. Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer."

"You look at your arms like you're admiring, right? You're admiring what you're gonna show them. And then you go... Boom! Like you're saying, Take a look at this hunk of man."

"If he comes in his best shape and he's equally as good as I am, or if, let's say, he's a few percent better than I am. I spend with him one night. I go down stairs and book us together in a room, you know, to help him for tomorrow's contest. And that night he will never forget. I will mix him up. He will come so ready to South Africa, so strong. But by the time the night is over, the next morning he will be ready to lose. I mean, I will just talk him into that, it's no problem to do. So it doesn't matter if he comes in shape, or out of shape. If he comes out of shape, at least it's less hassle for me, you know. And if he's in shape... Fine, I hope he is."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: