Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Film: Waking the Dead (2000)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9
Waking the Dead

"You, um, still haven't told me how you got the idea you wanted to be a Senator."
"That's not actually what I want. I want to be the President. Why are you smiling?"
"Because you mean it."

Review: A young lawyer is running for Congress but he is tormented by the memories of his activist girlfriend who died ten years earlier helping refugees from Chile. He starts to suspect that either she might still be alive or that he is going crazy. The movie is effective in showing their relationship in the early 70's and his election campaign in the 80's.

"I don't want to watch you turn into a cog in their machine."
"That's so fucking condescending. Sometimes cogs can make machines run a little bit better."
"Sometimes yes. Mostly they turn in circles and wear out. Then they get replaced."

"I am so sick of having to apologize for being an American."
"North American."
"Uh, God, I'm so sorry. Yes, North American. But I can't help noticing that when people run to freedom they tend to wash up on North American shores. This country is still the best that we've been able to do in the whole fucking history of the planet."

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: