Monday, July 16, 2007

TV: Coach - 1st Season (1989)

DVD: 2 Discs
Coach: The First Season

"You think I didn't respect you, Christine, but the truth is, I didn't even think of you."

Review: This is a fun show of the head coach of a college team dealing with his team and personal life. He is an old-fashioned guy having to deal with his new girlfriend and becoming reaquainted with his 19 year-old daughter coming to school at his university. This short first season introduces you to the characters but hasn't yet hit the quality it would show in later seasons.

"I believe that we all have male and female sides. In fact, I think that women are only 51% female and 49% male. Conversely, I think that men are 51% male and 49% female."
"Well, Stu, I don't know what book you got that out of, but I think I'm in the high 90s, babe, you know what I mean?"

"Hi, Stuart. What do you want?"
"Understanding, sensitivity. Most of all, your acceptance."
"What, were you raised by a pack of THERAPISTS?"
"Heyden..."
"NO, WHERE DO PEOPLE learn how to talk like this, Christine?"

"Hold on, Christine, you can't run out now. Now, you at least got to come over to the table and just meet Beth."
"I am not coming over to the table and meet Beth. God, I look like a frump. A soggy, sweaty, neurotic frump."
"She knows that. She's already seen you."

"I want you to stay here tonight."
"Why?"
"Trust me."
"Okay, I will. But Dad?"
"Hmm?"
"Next time you're gonna ask me to trust you, will you do it before I get all dressed up?"
"Hey, if I'm thinking that far ahead, you can count on it."

"Do you know how bad this is going to make me look? I mean, come on, Page 1, 'Hayden's woman goes out with other man'?"
"Hayden's woman?"
"Oh, come on, you know what I mean. I mean, don't try to turn that remark into some kind of insult to your entire gender."

3 1/2 out of 4 Stars

No comments: