Thursday, June 28, 2012

Film: The Station Agent (2003)

DVD: Anamorphic
The Station Agent

Review: I saw this movie for the first time at the La Paloma Theater. Since I could hear the train go by several times during the running time, it really added to the experience of this great movie about a train-obsessed man who inherits a railway-depot in a small town. Fin, played by Peter Dinklage, is a quiet loner who just wants to be left alone, but since he is a dwarf he is always attracting unwanted attention from those around him. Bobby Carnavale is amazing as Joe, the talkative New Yorker, who runs a small food truck parked on Fin's property. Through sheer force of will, Joe slowly wears down Fin's defenses and becomes his friend.

Quotes:
"It's funny how people see me and treat me, since I'm really just a simple, boring person."

"Hey listen, if you guys do something later, can I join you?"
"We're not gonna do something."
"No, I know, but if you do, can I join you?"
"We're not gonna do something later."
"Okay, but, if you do?"
"Okay."
"Cool."

"You said you weren't going to talk to me if I sat here, Joe."
"I haven't said anything in like twenty minutes."
"Nine."
"You timed me?"
"Mm-hmm."
"That's cold, bro."

"Do they have clubs for you people?"
"What?"
"You know, for train watchers."

"Hey, Olivia, you got a garlic press?!"
"No."
"How can you not have a garlic press?"
"Still no!"
"Alright, you keep talking! I'm gonna go cook without the garlic press!"
"I'm not used to having people in my house... especially loud people."
"It's a nice house."
"Yeah. David bought it as a get-away place... so I moved down here and got away."
"Where did you used to live?"
"Princeton... I know... I didn't get very far. But I just couldn't stay there another minute. Everyone looking at me... the poor woman whose son died... How about you? What made you pick Newfoundland?"
"I wanted to live near Joe."
"Guys! Would you come up here and talk? Seriously, this sucks!"

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: