Monday, June 04, 2012

Film: Frantic (1988)

Blu-Ray


Review: One of my favorite thrillers and one of Harrison Ford's best acting roles alongside 'The Mosquito Coast'. The film's title perfectly captures the emotional state of Harrison's character when his wife goes missing from their Paris hotel. Roman Polanski does a masterful job of building tension and slowly revealing details as Harrison struggles to locate his wife with only a few clues in a foreign city.

Quotes:
"Eyes?"
"Blue, both of them."
"Blue. Face?"
"Oval. Look..."
"I know this must seem like annoying bureaucracy, but really, we have to get one of these to the prefecture police when we deal with a missing person."
"I've already been to the police. I filled out of one of the forms. And it's not a missing person. It's a kidnapping!"
"Don't you think that's a bit premature to be so positive?"
"No, I don't think. I have witnesses. My wife was kidnapped. Do you understand what I am saying to you?"
"Yes. Yes, of course. But what would you like us to do exactly?"
"I want you to find my wife."
"Well, you understand, Dr. Walker, ours is basically a liaison function. We can assist you in communicating with the French police. We can put a little pressure on the Ministry of Interior. But this is their country. It's their jurisdiction. We can't just send a posse out after her."

"Shut the door. I want you to tell me what this says."
"It's me. It's Michelle. I'm back. I've made a good trip. I'll see you tonight at the Blue Parrot. Don't forget my money. I kiss you."
-------
"It's her again. She's angry now. She'll wait at the Parrot until it closes, then she'll go to his place."
"What time do the nightclubs close?"
"Four or six, it depends."

"I don't care about the suitcase. I'm looking for her!"
"Who?"
"My wife, god damn it! You put my wife's suitcase in the locker and it didn't have what they wanted in it. But it had my wife's name tag, our telephone number. They came to the hotel and took her."
"Your wife?"
"They kidnapped her!"
"But they want my suitcase. Why did they take your wife?"
"When I find them, I'll ask them."

"Merde, what did you do that for?"
"Put your hands on the wheel!"
"That's good coke! That was 500 francs, at least."
"Keep your eyes on the road and get us where we're going. Jesus Christ!"

"I take only half."
"Why?"
"Instead of the other half, you keep me with you."
"Why?"
"I'm trusting you with my suitcase. I stay with you until you give it to them. I don't want to end up like Dede."
"You better get out of here."
"No, I won't go... Please?"
"I'll come to your apartment as soon as I get this straightened out."
"Promise?"
"Yes, I promise. Now scoot."

"Right, I want you to take this and go behind that truck and don't come out until I tell you."
"Okay, I'm scared. Are you?"
"I'm scared shitless. Go on."
"Merde... In French, it's good luck to say, 'Merde'... You're not supposed to answer."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: