Sunday, June 03, 2012

TV: Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Volume 2 - The War Years (1992-1995)

DVD: 8 Discs


Review: Based off the childhood opening in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusades", this TV series, shot on 16mm all over the world, was a great combination of Indiana Jones adventure and intelligent history lessons. I wasn't a fan of the early episodes where Indy was 10 years, but I really like the ones in this set where he is in his late teens during World War I.

Quotes:
"French artillery. Very impressive."
"As good as the Germans."

"Let me be brief. You can not tunnel, the castle's built upon granite. If you try to disguise yourself as a German soldier, you will be shot as a spy. If you attempt to bribe my men, you will be shot as a corrupting influence on German morale. I don't want any trouble from you."

"I was raised a Catholic, I should say something."
"Get it over with."
"Dear God, let this man go to hell."

"I've fooled a lot of people with my French."
"No doubt you have. It is excellent."
"How did you know I was American?"
"My father is a professor of philosophy. During my youth, I met many American scholars. All spoke French fluently, but none perfectly. I recognized your game at once."

"What kind of toilet paper is this?"
"Real toilet paper is about as rare as snowballs in Kalgoorlie. They use whatever comes to hand. Documents, memos, invoices. Once delivered they go straight to the outhouse. It's a tremendous boon for our intelligence purposes."

"She answers all our questions with a tense invitation to go to hell. Infuriating woman."
"She's stubborn, like her mother. Once, on a hunting expedition, just to prove she was braver than the men, she crept up behind a grazing rhinoceros and wrote 'mpumbava' on it."
"She wrote 'idiot' in Swahili on a rhino's butt?"
"In chalk."
"Got to admire that in a young lady."
"Yeah."
"I suppose she'll have to eat."
"I... I'll take it."
"What a fellow. Always ready to sacrifice for his comrades."

"Ashari soldiers saw you struck down by a bad German bullet, Indy. Saw you die, then come back to life. You cough a bullet, spit on ground with much contempt, lead Ashari to victory. Very big magic."
"No, no, no, Barthelemy. The men have it all wrong. It's... it's not magic. I'm just lucky. The bullet struck my locket. See?"
"That is very small target. So your juju very powerful. Little god, he who cannot die!"
"Two promotions in one day. First captain, now god. You amaze me. Ha, Ha!"

"Are you a pilot?"
"No, a photographer?"
"Flying's insane, let alone in wartime with a gang of rowdy American cowboys. I'll take the trench, thank you."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: