Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Film: Out for Justice (1991)

Blu-Ray


Review: Steven Seagal peaked with Under Siege but his earlier work created consistently great genre films. What raises this one is the intense acting by William Forsythe as the coked-up, short-tempered villain, Richie Madano, who terrifies and disgusts even his fellow criminals. The story takes place over one day as Seagal, the Brooklyn detective Gino, hunts down the cop-killer who wants to go out in a frenzy of violence.

Quotes:
"Why won't this man run?"
"You know, Vic. You never understood nothing about the neighborhood. Did you, huh?"
"No, I guess I never did."
"Let me tell you something. You kill a cop on 18th Avenue in front of a hundred witnesses, you're gonna die. The only difference is, this guy wants to die in his own neighborhood."

"Hey Vinnie! How you doing?"
"Officer Big Shot, come to bust my balls? This here is a detective! In what, Narcotics now?"
"That's right."
"Now I want you all to be very nice and tell this big fucking mamaluke over here anything he wants to know."
"Vinnie, come over here. Listen, you shouldn't talk to me that way because, like, you and I don't know each other so good. You were still sucking your thumb when your brother was going around town sucking dicks."

"The only balls he has is that badge and gun."
"Is that right? Let me show you something. Here's my gun! Fair game, now, okay? And here's my badge! This is your trophy. This is your trophy, okay?! Come and get it. Tell one of your fuckin citriolis to come and get it."
"I offer 5,000 for that badge, right now."

"Gino, you have not even told me what I've been arrested for."
"Let me see here. What could we do? Ah, how about 240.25?"
"What's that?"
"Prostitution, honey."
"Are you fucking kidding me?! Let me out of here right now, Gino!"
"I told you I was going to do this. Now, how's your memory? Who is Roxanne?"
"Gino, you're really starting to piss me off!"
"Jack, did you ever find this one over here on the street?"
"Many times."
"And how much was she?"
"10 bucks."
"Oh, ten bucks this, my friend! Fuck you, Gino!"

"After pop died... and the neighborhood kids wanted to go to Coney Island or something to play... one of the other fathers, Mr. Madano, used to slip me a little money so I could go play with the kids too. You know how I repayed Mr. Madano? You know how I thanked him tonight? I arrested him. Just so I could get to Richie. That's how crazy I am."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: