Sunday, November 13, 2011

Film: Grumpy Old Men (1993)

Blu-Ray


Review: A perfect little film with great chemistry between the two comedic superstars, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. The winter setting perfectly complements the long-running cold war between two neighbors who have lived next to each other their entire lives. Their feud comes to a head when an attractive widow moves in across the street.

Quotes:
"I need something for my lumbago. The pain is killing me."
"Ah, it's killing you, my ass. He doesn't know the meaning of the word pain, Phil. I got a pinched sciatica that makes your lumbago look like eye strain."
"Pain. He wants to talk about pain. I had a gallstone the size of a baseball."
"Gallstones, yeah. Gallstones are for pussies. When I had the shingles, did you see me in here complaining to Phil? Did ya?"
"Shingles, schmingles. When I had my ulcers, I was... farting razor blades."

"Give me two packs of camels and a cup of your special coffee, you love muffin, you."
"You're supposed to be smoking filter cigarettes, Pop."
"Yeah, well, I'm 94 years old. What the hell do I care, huh? Oh, thank you, dear."

"Max, oh, he's just magnificent."
"Magnificient? He's a damn record-breaker. You've got a three-footer."
"Oh, Max. I can see the beauty in this now."
"Can you see it?"
"Yes, the lure. No, the fight."
"The fight! Wait till I show the guys!"
"The catch..."
"What a catch!"
"And then the release."
"The release!!! What release? There's no release."
"Oh, yes, it's beautiful."
"No, I'll tell you what's beautiful. This monster on my wall... stuffed."

"Who are these little guys?"
"Oh, ha. That's me and the moron."
"Max?"
"Of course it's Max. He's ugly, isn't he?"
"Ha, ha. Oh, you mean you were friends?"
"Well, I was 10. I didn't know any better."
"What can make two grown men spend most of their lives fighting each other?"
"Oh, guess."
"A woman."
"Uh, yeah."
"How romantic."

"It looks like Chuck is taking the skin boat to tuna town."
"Jesus, Dad!"

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: