Thursday, February 16, 2012

Film: Shrek (2001)

Blu-ray


Review: A fun fairy tale that plays off and skewers the established Disney tropes we all know and love. Mike Myers is great as the unlikely hero, Shrek, a grumpy ogre who agrees to rescue a princess for the villainous Lord Farquaad in order to win back control of his swamp. What pushes the movie into greatness is Eddie Murphy's voice work as Donkey, the jabber-mouthed animal who latches onto Shrek as his unwelcome sidekick after the ogre saves him.

Quotes:
"Next. What have you got?"
"This little wooden puppet."
"I'm not a puppet, I'm a real boy!"
"Five shillings for the possessed toy. Take it away."
"Father, please! Don't let them do this!"

"I guess you don't entertain much, do you?"
"I like my privacy."
"Y'know, me too. That's another thing we have in common. Like, I hate it when you've got somebody in your face. You're trying to give them a hint and they won't leave. Then there's that big awkward silence............................ Can I stay with you?"

"We can stay up late, swapping manly stories, and in the morning, I'm making waffles!"

"You! You're coming with me."
"All right, that's what I like to hear, man. Shrek and Donkey, two stalwart friends off on a whirlwind, big-city adventure. I love it! On the road again... Sing it with me, Shrek!"
"What did I say about singing?"
"Well, can I whistle?"
"No."
"Can I hum it?"
"All right, hum it."

"The champion shall have the honour, no, no, the privilege to go forth and rescue the lovely Princess Fiona from the fiery keep of the dragon! If for any reason, the winner is unsuccessful, the first runner-up will take his place, and so on and so forth. Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I am willing to make. Let the tournament begin!"

"Phew! Shrek! Did you do that? Man, you gotta warn somebody before you just crack one off. My mouth was open and everything!"
"Believe me, Donkey, if it was me, you'd be dead! It's brimstone... we must be getting close."
"Yeah, right, brimstone. Don't be talking about no brimstone. I know what I smelled, it wasn't no brimstone and it didn't come off no stone neither..."

"So where is this fire-breathin' pain in the neck, anyway?"
"Inside, waiting for us to rescue her."
"I was talkin' about the dragon, Shrek."

"All right, I hope you heard that. She called me a 'noble steed'. She thinks I'm a steed."

"I just know before this is over, I'm gonna need a whole lot of serious therapy. Look at my eye twitchin'."

"Say, Shrek, what're we gonna do with our swamp?"
"We? Donkey, there's no WE. There's no OUR. There's just ME and MY swamp! The first thing I'm gonna do is build a ten-foot wall around my land."
"You cut me deep, Shrek. You cut me real deep just now."

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: