Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Film: Boyz N the Hood (1991)

DVD: Anamorphic
Boyz N the Hood (2-Disc Anniversary Edition)

"Either they don't know, don't show, or don't care about what's going on in the hood."

Review: This is the best movie ever made about growing up in South Central LA. It starts out as a kind of urban "Stand by Me" for the first quarter, but quickly jumps ahead to the critical time in the lives of the teenagers as they face choices on how they are going to live as adults. Laurence Fishburne is great as the strict father who teaches his son responsibility.

My only problem with the movie is the father advising his son not to join the Army based on his experience in Vietnam and the belief that the Army is no place for a black man. Personally, from my time in the Army, I had nothing but great respect for all the black authority figures I had from my Drill Sergeants, Squad & Platoon Leaders and the Captain of my first company.

"Why is it that there is a gun shop on almost every corner in this community?"
"Why?"
"I'll tell you why. For the same reason that there is a liquor store on almost every corner in the black community. Why? They want us to kill ourselves."

"Trey, your pops is like mothafuckin Malcolm... Farrakhan."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: