Tuesday, August 10, 2010

TV: American Dad! - Volume 1 (2005)

3 Discs


Review: American Dad is the show that Seth MacFarlane created after Family Guy was cancelled the first time. While I didn't care for it at first, it quickly grew on me during this 1st season with the character of Roger the Alien. It is much more story-driven than the joke-filled randomness of Family Guy.

Quotes:
"This is Stan Smith."
"Mr. Smith, I'm afraid there's a problem with your son."
"Oh, God, he's gay. This is it. This is the gay call. I've been ready for this for years."

"What makes you think you're going to survive?"
"My species is immune to all human ailments."
"So explain that cold sore."
"Mind your own business!"

"You get back here, Hayley! No? Well, I didn't want to had to use this, but... Rhubarb!"
""Rhubarb?"
"Hmm, that's her trigger word; I had her brainwashed at five. She's supposed to kill Walter Mondale, but I guess it didn't take."

"My mother stole my boyfriend!"
"Your boyfriend stole my wife! Let's get back at them by dating each other... Wait a minute, Daddy didn't think that through."

"Stupid gas-guzzler... that I as an American have every right to drive."

"So, what part of Islam do you hail from?"
"Well, my parents were from Iran, but I was born in Cleveland."
"Really? You know, we also have a Cleveland here in America. And it'd be just super if you didn't blow it up."

"Let 'em go, Stan! It's been a fun ride, but it's over!"
"Oh, not this old bit. You point a gun at me, I pretend I'm gonna do what you say, then I pull out my gun, we do our little John Woo standoff, inevitably your arm gets tired, then you drop your gun and we have nobody-got-shot sex... Where are you...? Francine! Well, why did you pull a gun on me if you didn't want to have sex?!"

"I promise I'll help you find a safe way to socialize with humans."
"That'd be great, Hayley. I feel so cooped up in this place. It's like a prison, except without the thrill of a daily cavity search... Did I say thrill? I meant fear."

"Jeff, that's a corn-dog! We're vegetarian!"
"Still?"

"Oh, God, we're all going to die... and our lives meant nothing, absolutely nothing! I mean... uh, something comforting."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: