Monday, August 16, 2010

Film: Play It to the Bone (2000)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9
Play it to the Bone

"This is Joe, fellas. You guys ever take a fight on short notice?"
"How short?"
"Six o'clock tonight. I need two guys. You put on a really good show... You guys never fought each other, right?"
"Well, for money you mean?"

Review: I didn't care for this movie the first time I saw it, but now I love it. Ron Shelton does the same thing for boxing in this film that he did for baseball and golf in "Bull Durham" and "Tin Cup". I like that he casts and writes for attractive, older women. Lolita Davidovich is just as perfect as Susan Sarandon and Rene Russo were in his earlier movies. Woody Harrelson and Antonio Banderas have good chemistry as two over-the-hill fighters with one last chance for a title shot.

"I don't know if I can fight him. You know, I'm afraid I'm gonna freeze up and pull my punches. You know? We're tight. It's like... Uh, the worst thing you wanna feel in the ring is compassion."
"Vince, all you need is the bell."

"Grace, if you have to bet on tonight's fight, uh, who do you think is gonna win? Me or Vince? No bullshit about it."
"He's gonna kick your ass."
"No."
"Too much experience."
"I'm quicker."
"He can take a punch. He'll slip your jab, work your body and he's a great counterpuncher. I'm sorry, Ces. Just circle to the left and you'll be okay."
"Circle to the left."
"Yeah."
"Well... But, uh, who is the better lover? Me or Vince?"
"No contest. You."

"How old are you?"
"Twenty."
"Another five years, you're gonna be sucked out, fucked out, doped out, lookin' for a handout."
"Oh, but what a five years, huh?"

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: