Monday, October 20, 2008

Film: Gladiator (2000)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9
Gladiator - Extended Edition (Three-Disc Extended Edition)

"I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark. Rome is the light."

Review: This is a visually beautiful movie with thrilling fight scenes. It is a very good movie, but I still don't think it is Best Picture quality, story-wise. I always thought the third act had some serious hiccups, it seems to jerk from point to point instead of flowing smoothly. The death of Oliver Reed before filming was completed and the fact that they were working on the script all the way to the end probably factored into this problem.

"I am Proximo! I shall be closer to you for the next few days, which will be the last of your miserable lives, than that bitch of a mother who first brought you screaming into this world! I did not pay good money for your company. I paid it so that I might profit from your death. And just as your mother was there at your beginning, I shall be there at your end."

"You have a great name. He must kill your name before he kills you."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: