Monday, October 06, 2008

Film: D.A.R.Y.L. (1985)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9
D.A.R.Y.L.

"You know, the extraordinary thing is that we've accomplished something by accident that we wouldn't have dared to do by intent. Putting him out there just to see what would happen. When Dr. Mulligan kidnapped him, that was the best thing he could have done."
"You were right about it's learning potential."
"No, I was wrong. I think he's learned a lot more than I ever thought possible."

Review: This was a favorite movie of mine as a kid. It starts out a little slow but really holds up well in the final two acts. A boy named Daryl is found in the woods with amnesia and is sent to live with a childless couple. He is a genius child who's mysterious background is revealed after his supposed parents come to claim him.

"I can sort of read what a computer is doing."
"You can control it?"
"I guess. I'm getting better."
"But people... you can tell what they're thinking?"
"Oh, no, I'm not telepathic or anything like that."
"Then how do you know what they're feeling?"
"Well, you sort of guess at that because you know what you're feeling yourself."

"Basically, we need an adult version of this prototype, programmed to learn and then taught everything the Army can teach. A fearless, technically skilled, devastating soldier."
"D.A.R.Y.L. goes to the scrap yard. Understood?"

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: