Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Film: The Substitute (1996)

DVD: Full Screen and Non-Anamorphic Widescreen


Review: Of all the films in the broken inner city school genre, this is my favorite. Tom Berenger plays a ex-special forces soldier who poses as a substitute teacher after his teacher friend is hurt because she stood up to the leader of the school's most dangerous gang. This is more of an action revenge film as he confronts the school's drug dealers than an inspirational tale of a teacher trying to improve the lives of his students through unconventional learning methods.

Quotes:
"What were his exact words?"
"That if I didn't back off, I'd wish I did."
"That's terrible! But technically speaking, it doesn't constitute a direct threat."
"You mean he didn't say he was going to stab me with a kitchen knife at 4:15pm?"

"My name is Mr. Smith. I will be Miss Hetzko's substitute for the next few days."

"Hand over the ice pick?"
"What ice pick? I ain't got no ice pick."
"This is my class, Rodriguez. I know everything and I don't allow any weapons in here."
"This ain't your class, bitch. I'll carry what I want. You better take that Superman shit somewhere else. Ahh!"
"It's impolite to stick your finger in somebody's chest. Would you like it if I did that to you? All right, hand over the ice pick... please. Thank you."
"Motherfucker, you broke my hand!"
"I just bent it a little. I don't break them on the first offense... I am in charge of this class. I'm the warrior chief. I'm the merciless god of anything that stirs in my universe. You FUCK with me and you will suffer my wrath! Estiendes ustedes? Estoy claro?"

"You're late, Juan. That'll be one demerit."
"One demerit? What do I do, write 'I'm sorry' ten times on the blackboard?"
"No, you're going to write it one hundred times. Let's go... Life is a chess game, Juan. This is a crucial move. I want you to think it over."
"You're the one who should have thought it through, motherfucker."
"Oh, believe me, I have, Juan. I have."

"Why should you care?"
"I didn't, at first."
"Oh, but you do now?"
"The other day I was talking and just happened to glance back and the weirdest thing happened..."
"What?"
"They were listening. I don't know. I guess I felt like, you know..."
"Like you were actually teaching."
"Yeah."
"Oh, I remember that feeling."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: