Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Film: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Ws Dub Sub Dol)

"I'm telling you, I didn't steal any money from her! She gave it to me."
"Well she filed a complaint, Monsieur."
"She caught me with another woman! C'mon, you're French, you understand that!"
"To be with another woman, that is French. To be caught, that is American."

Review: I wish they still made comedies like this, if they do I haven't noticed them. This is the first film that I saw with Michael Caine and he is perfect as the sauve british confidence man who preys on the rich tourists along the French Riveria. When the crass Steve Martin invades his turf, he uses all his tricks to try and force him out of town, before they finally decide to settle their disagreements with a high-stakes bet.

"Freddy, as a younger man, I was a sculptor, a painter, and a musician. There was just one problem. I wasn't very good. As a matter of fact, I was dreadful. I finally came to the frustrating conclusion that I had taste and style, but not talent. I knew my limitations. We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is, know your limitations. You are a moron."

"I believe she is the United States Soap Queen."
"Okay, how much?"
"She's a little young, isn't she?"
"Out of your league?"
"All right, I'll make it easy for you, $50,000."
"50,000 dollars!!?"
"Out of your league?"

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: