Thursday, January 01, 2009

Film: Blood Diamond (2006)

DVD: Enhanced 16:9
Blood Diamond (Widescreen Edition)

"You listening to this? The world is falling apart, and all we hear about is Blowjobgate."
"When was the last time the world wasn't falling apart, huh?"
"Ah, a cynic. Why don't you sit down and make me miserable?"

Review: This is an outstanding film about conflict diamonds in Africa. What is great about the story is that it shows all sides of the issue without getting preachy. This is one of Leo's best roles as an amoral diamond smuggler who keeps you in the dark about his intentions all the way to the end. Great writing and excellent action sequences round it out.

"Peace Corps types only stay around long enough to realize they're not helping anyone. Government only wants to stay in power until they've stolen enough to go into exile somewhere else. And the rebels, they're not sure they want to take over. Otherwise, they'd have to govern this mess. But T.I.A., right?"
"What's T.I.A.?"
"This Is Africa."

"What do you want from me, huh?"
"You know all about Van De Kaap. Help me out. Off the record."
"Well, off the record, I like to get kissed before I get fucked."

"I understand white people want our diamonds, yes. But how can my own people do this to each other? I know good people who say there is something wrong with us... inside our black skin. That we were better off when the white man ruled. But my son is good. And when he grows up.. and peace comes... this place will be a paradise."
"We'll get your son back, huh?"

"I thought you would steal it from me."
"Yeah, yeah, it occurred to me, huh?"

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: