Thursday, January 24, 2008

Film: Thank You for Smoking (2005)

DVD: Anamorphic
Thank You for Smoking (Widescreen Edition)

"Dad, why is the American government the best government?"
"Because of our endless appeals system."

Review: This was the funniest movie of 2005. I laughed my ass off when I saw it in the theater. It is a great satire that targets political correctness. Aaron Eckhart was excellent as the slick-talking spokesman for Big Tobacco.

"My Mommy says smoking kills."
"Oh, is your Mommy a doctor?"
"No."
"A scientific researcher of some kind?"
"No."
"Well then, she's hardly a credible expert, is she?"

"Right there, looking into Joey's eyes, it all came back in a rush. Why I do what I do. Defending the defenseless, protecting the disenfranchised corporations that have been abandoned by their very own consumers: the logger, the sweatshop foreman, the oil driller, the land mine developer, the baby seal poacher..."
"Baby seal poacher? Even I think that's kind of cruel."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: