Friday, September 07, 2007

Film: Can't Buy Me Love (1987)

DVD: Full Screen - Pan & Scan
Can't Buy Me Love

"Fifteen hundred dollars. I mowed 331 miles of grass this summer. That's $4.54 per mile."
"Hmm! The Ronald Miller Story: My Life on a Mower."

Review: This is a favorite teen movie of mine, even though certain lines of dialogue can make me groan and the movie can feel very amateurish at times. Patrick Dempsey does a great job as the geek who tries to buy popularity, but goes overboard when he succeeds. Amanda Peterson is very cute and Seth Green as the younger asshole brother is great.

"Ooh! Cards with the 'tards."
"Smack him."
"Hey, bro. I'm only kidding. I mean, who could beat a night of cards, chips, dips and dorks?"

"You took him from Geek Status to King Status to No Status."
"Chuckie Miller, right? He resorted to sending his messenger boy?"
"Boy? I see no boy here."

"Didn't you take economics? You could have had me for $49.95."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: