Sunday, October 28, 2012

Film: The Contender (2000)

DVD: Anamorphic


Review: A political thriller with great acting from the whole cast. Joan Allen plays a female senator picked by the President to replace the VP who died in the middle of his second term. Opposing her appointment, the House Committee Chairman uncovers a salacious college incident from the senator's past and attempts to use it against her to sink her confirmation. A tiny bit of preachiness is the only thing that keeps the film from 5 Stars.

Quotes:
"Who doesn't want a shortcut to greatness?"

"So, how are Will and the boy?"
"Let's forego the small talk today, Shelly, I'm not in the mood."
"Let the big talk begin."

"It seems to me that all you can claim about me... claim, is that I had sex."
"Deviant sex."
"Oh, deviant? Who says it was deviant?"
"I do. What I say, the American people will believe. And do you know why? Because I will have a very big microphone in front of me."

"The people of this nation can stomach quite a bit. But the one thing they can't stomach is the image of a vice president with a mouthful of cock."

"Principles only mean something when you stick to them when its inconvenient."

"I should have come down here and pointed my finger your way... pointed my finger YOUR way, and asked, 'Have you no decency, sir?'"

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: