Monday, March 26, 2007

Film: My Father the Hero (1994)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9
My Father the Hero

Review: Without Gerard Depardieu, this would just be a boring movie of a pretty, but petty girl who pouts when things don't go her way, but Gerard takes the movie to another level with his comic turn as the exasperated father trying to deal with his daughter's encounter with puberty. The high point is him singing, "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" at the resort's amateur night and the audience's response.

Quotes:
"What... what's THAT?"
"What's the matter?
"What are you wearing?"
"My bathing suit!"
"The whole thing?"

"Pablo's playing at a party tomorrow night, and he's invited me to go."
"Then we can go after supper."
"Daddy, you're not invited."
"Well, I'm inviting me!"
"I can't show up with my father."
"Then you can't go. I don't want you going out with that boy."
"Well, I'm not going out with him."
"I said no."
"Why, because he's black?"
"Not because he's black; because you're 14 years old."
"14 and a half."
"Besides, he's a musician."
"So?"
"So, you can't date a musician until all other men are dead."

"Are you out of your MIND? What the HELL were you thinking about?"
"You're yelling."
"Of course I'm yelling! My daughter tells some stranger that her father is her, her..."
"Lover!"
"Oh, God! I hate that word. It's so... so GRAPHIC."

3 1/2 out of 4 Stars

No comments: