Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Film: Payback - Director's Cut (1999)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9
Payback - The Director's Cut (Special Collector's Edition)

"You know what, Val? This one's on me, okay?"
"You see me reaching for my fucking wallet?"

Review: This movie originally started out as a hard-boiled thriller with a much darker ending by it's director. He was forced to leave the project when he wouldn't make the changes that the studio wanted to lighten it up. He was invited back to recreate his version for DVD 10 years later.

Much of the comedy that was added to the theatrical version has been stripped back out and scenes that portrayed Porter as a much darker character have been returned. The biggest change is the original third act that was replaced after the director left the film is back. This makes the two movies very different. I enjoyed both versions.

"Meet the nastiest damn dog who ever lived."
"What's his name?"
"Porter... He took your job after you left. He just as tough, but he won't leave me. Will you, baby?"

"This is Porter."
"I should probably have you just shoot Fairfax and then hire you to run the city for me. Too bad you're just a punk with the right balls-to-brains ratio."

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: