Friday, December 21, 2012

Film: The Other Guys (2010)

Blu-Ray


Review: A very funny movie centered around less heroic 3rd String detectives who stumble onto a massive financial fraud case. This is Mark Wahlberg's first comedy, but he successfully builds off the comedic aspects of the foul-mouthed police sergeant he played in "The Departed" and he interacts well with Will Ferrell's forensic accounting detective who loves doing the desk-work other cops despise. Directed by the Adam McKay of "Anchorman", the film is filled with improvisations and quotable lines.

Quotes:
"What is this?"
"It's my car, it's a Prius."
"I feel like we're literally driving around in a vagina."

"If you were in the wild, I would attack you, even if you weren't in my food chain. I would go out of my way to attack you. If I were a lion and you were a tuna, I would swim out in the middle of the ocean and freaking eat you and then I'd bang your tuna girlfriend."
"OK, first off: a lion, swimming in the ocean. Lions don't like water. If you placed it near a river or some sort of fresh water source, that make sense. But you find yourself in the ocean, 20 foot waves, I'm assuming off the coast of South Africa, coming up against a full grown 800 pound tuna with his 20 or 30 friends, you lose that battle, you lose that battle 9 times out of 10. And guess what, you've wandered into our school of tuna and we now have a taste of lion. We've talked to ourselves. We've communicated and said 'You know what, lion tastes good, let's go get some more lion'."

"You know what, I'm going to hang onto the wooden gun."
"To give me back my real gun?"
"No. I'm going to give you this... It's a rape whistle. You blow that if you're in any trouble, and someone with an actual gun will come and help you out."

"Your farts aren't manly."
"Are you serious?"
"They sound like a baby blowing out birthday candles."

"At age 11, I audited my parents. Believe me, there were some discrepancies, and I was grounded."

"I think the best way to tell the story is by starting at the end, briefly, then going back to the beginning, and then periodically returning to the end, maybe giving different characters' perspectives throughout. Just to give it a bit of dynamism, otherwise it's just sort of a linear story."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: