Sunday, December 23, 2012

Film: The Terminator (1984)

Blu-Ray


Review: I am a fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Terminator series, but I was never smitten by the first film. While Linda Hamilton grew into the Sarah Connor role for the sequel, I didn't have much empathy for her character in the original so I kinda lost interest in the never-ending chase even though I loved the sci-fi concept behind it. Arnold is great as the imposing killer cyborg, but I preferred his later takes where he could show more of his comedic timing. With this Blu-Ray, I've have now watched the film only for a second time.

Quotes:
"Come with me if you want to live."

"There was a nuclear war. A few years from now, all this, this whole place, everything, it's gone. Just gone. There were survivors. Here, there. Nobody even knew who started it. It was the machines, Sarah."
"I don't understand."
"Defense network computers. New... powerful... hooked into everything, trusted to run it all. They say it got smart, a new order of intelligence. Then it saw all people as a threat, not just the ones on the other side. Decided our fate in a microsecond: extermination."

"The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human... sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot. I had to wait till he moved on you before I could zero him."

"Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

"Why were the other two women killed?"
"Most of the records were lost in the war. Skynet knew almost nothing about Connor's mother. Her full name, where she lived. They just knew the city. The Terminator was just being systematic."

"What've we got? Moth balls, corn syrup, ammonia. What's for dinner?"
"Plastique."
"That sounds good. What is it?"
"Nitroglycerine-base; it's a bit more stable. I learned to make it when I was a kid."

3 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: