Saturday, September 15, 2012

Film: Into the Wild (2007)

Blu-Ray


Review: This is a film about a young man who abandons society after he graduates from college, giving away all his money, leaving his car in the middle of nowhere to wander the country searching for enlightenment. As he makes his way to his ultimate goal of Alaska, the story follows each major encounter where he makes an impression on others or vice-versa. What is great about this film is that even though I would never want to live this lifestyle, Sean Penn did a great job as the director to make me appreciate it. It's a gorgeous road-trip movie from the perspective of a penniless hitchhiker.

Quotes:
"You're an industrious little fucker, aren't cha?"

"If I wanted to paddle down the river, where's the best place to launch out of?"
"To launch out of? Next available is May 17, 2003."
"12 years? Twelve years... to paddle down a river?"

"That poor girl's about ready to vault herself onto a fence post."

"Alaska. I'm gonna be all the way out there, all the way fucking out there. Just on my own. You know, no fucking watch, no map, no axe, no nothing. No nothing. Just be out there. Just be out there in it. You know, big mountains, rivers, sky, game. Just be out there in it, you know? In the wild."
"In the wild."
"Just wild!"
"Yeah. What are you doing when we're there? Now you're in the wild, what are we doing?"
"You're just living, man. You're just there, in that moment, in that special place and time. Maybe when I get back, I can write a book about my travels."

"Mr. Franz, I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

"I'm going to miss you when you go."
"I will miss you too, but you are wrong if you think that the joy of life comes principally from the joy of human relationships. God's place is all around us, it is in everything and in anything we can experience. People just need to change the way they look at things."
"Yeah. I am going to take stock of that. You know I am... I want to tell you something. From bits and pieces of what you have told me about your family, your mother and your dad... And I know you have problems with the church too... But there is some kind of bigger thing that we can all appreciate and it sounds to me you don't mind calling it God. But when you forgive, you love. And when you love, God's light shines through you."
"Holy shit!"

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: