Sunday, September 23, 2012

Film: 25th Hour (2002)

DVD: Enhanced 16x9


Review: One of Spike Lee's best films about a convicted drug dealer's last day of freedom before going to prison for 7 years. Interspersed with flashbacks showing how he got to this point, Edward Norton's character spends the day reflecting on his fate and his relationships with his girlfriend who may have ratted him out, his faithless friends and his drunk father.

Quotes:
"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends."

"What do we say to him?"
"We say nothin'. The guy's going to hell for seven years. what are you going to do, wish him luck?"

"Fuck ME? Fuck YOU, Fuck you and this whole city and everyone in it."
"Fuck Jacob Elinsky. Whining malcontent."
"Fuck Francis Xavier Slaughtery my best friend, judging me while he stares at my girlfriend's ass."
"Fuck Naturelle Riviera, I gave her my trust and she stabbed me in the back, sold me up the river, fucking bitch."
"Fuck my father with his endless grief, standing behind that bar sipping on club sodas, selling whisky to firemen, and cheering the Bronx Bombers."
"Fuck this whole city and everyone in it. From the row-houses of Astoria to the penthouses on Park Avenue, from the projects in the Bronx to the lofts in Soho. From the tenements in Alphabet City to the brownstones in Park Slope to the split-levels in Staten Island. Let an earthquake crumble it, let the fires rage, let it burn to fucking ash and then let the waters rise and submerge this whole rat-infested place."
"No. No, fuck you, Montgomery Brogan. You had it, and you threw it away, you DUMB FUCK!"

"One minute ago, you were my friend. Are you drunk? Tell me you've been drinking too much. You're fucking drunk."
"I'm Irish. I can't get drunk, all right? I know exactly what I'm saying."

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: