Saturday, November 17, 2012

Film: The Matador (2005)

Blu-Ray


Review: This is not an action film like the title and poster suggest, but a talky dramatic comedy about an assassin suffering from a mid-life crisis. Without any friends from his solitary lifestyle on the road, he latches onto a equally-troubled businessman staying in his hotel in Mexico City. While Pierce Brosnan was a decent James Bond, it is his anti-hero roles like in this film and in "The Tailor of Panama" where he really shines.

Quotes:
"I'm as serious as an erection problem."

"Margaritas always taste better in Mexico.
"They certainly do."
"Margaritas and cock... Sorry about the cock thing, it's kind of a conversation stopper."

"A Vietnamese girl I once knew had her legs so locked together I couldn't get a whiff of her spring roll. Two drinks, half a quaalude later, I was at an all you can eat buffet. Every lock can be broken. It's just a matter of will and whether it's worth it."

"I need a break. There's no retirement home for assassins is there? Archery at four. Riflery at five."
"Goddamn it, Julian, you leave the game, even for a while, I don't know if they'll gonna let you back in. And then what the hell are you gonna do? Waste your days picking up illiterate teenagers for suck-and-fuck sessions behind the Old Navy store?"
"Sounds delightful to me."

"An assassin without confidence is a horrible thing to behold. It's like a relief pitcher who fumbles the ball."
"Please tell me you know you mixed two sports in a metaphor."
"Huh? Yeah, I can't do that."

"Just consider me the best cocktail party story you ever met."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: