Sunday, November 30, 2008

TV: Sanford and Son - 2nd Season

DVD: 3 Discs
Sanford and Son - The Second Season

"Ethel, how'd you like one across your lip?"

Review: Redd Foxx is hilarious as Fred Sanford, the lazy owner of junkyard in LA. His comedic sense of timing and delivery is impeccable and timeless. Demond Wilson plays a great straight man as Fred's son, Lamont.

"Now listen, if you try to run off with my truck and try to cash that check, I'll find you. Might take me a week, might take me a month, might take me years. But one day, maybe 50 years from now, you'll be walkin' down the street and when you least expect it, a 115-year old man gonna jump out of the alley with a two-by-four and cave your skull in. Now, come on and get to work."

"Hucklebuck is in used cars, Pop. He buys and sells."
"You sure he doesn't steal and repaint?"

"Listen, let me tell you. You know that old saying, A fool and his money are soon parted? Well, it won't be long now, fool."

"I think the stakes are a little too high for you, Papa Sanford."
"Oh, I got money now. Wait a minute. Look here. I got money. Safe... Door... Combination... Open... Shoebox... Top... Mason Jar... Sock... Woolite... Mint... Government. Is that enough?"

"Help! It's a burglar! Help! I got him! I got him! Give me the baseball bat!"
"Pop! Pop, you've got Rollo!"
"What's wrong with you, Pops?"
"Ain't nothing wrong with me. When I'm being robbed, I grab the nearest throat."

"Sit in this chair, Mr. Sanford."
"What we gonna do, eat now?"
"This just a little protection. The dentist will be with you in just a moment."
"Did you hear that? Just for protection. It's for blood.
"Stop. It is not."
"It is. See? They butcher your mouth, then you lean over here and bleed in this sink. And when it's finished draining out ya, there you are, dead."

"Get out of there. Get on out of there before I give you a wood shampoo."
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be trespassing."
"Well, that's what you're doing is trespassing. Hit the road, Jack."

"It's the phone company. They say if we don't pay the bill, they're going to cut it off."
"Gimme that. Hello? Yeah, this is Fred Sanford. Yeah, the phone is listed in my name. Say listen, what makes you folks think you can call me and cut somebody's phone off just because they're a little bit behind in their bill? I need my phone for my place of business. That's right. I wish one of you would come over here and try to cut my phone off. I'll put my foot in your... Hello? Hello? It's dead."

"The way you talk to your father is deplorable. No, it is inexcusable. In my country, such behavior is unheard of. You would be beaten."
"I wish I had you in Nigeria. I'd knock you out."

"We'll take care of him. He'll be in good hands. Oh, why don't I show you to your room, Mr. Sanford. All right? I have this nice room right across the hall from me. Won't that be cozy?"
"Just don't start any funny stuff. See, you might be fully integrated, but I ain't crossed that bridge yet."

"Where you been so long?"
"Fighting crime in the streets, Mr. Sanford. We are gonna get to the point where people can walk anywhere in Los Angeles."
"Yeah, but they'll still be running in Watts."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: