Tuesday, August 03, 2010

TV: Charles in Charge - 2nd Season (1987)

DVD: 3 Discs
Charles in Charge: Complete Second Season (3pc)

"The new boy in the neighborhood,"
"Lives downstairs and it's understood."
"He’s there just to take good care of me,"
"Like he’s one of the family."

"Charles in Charge"
"Of our days and our nights."
"Charles in Charge"
"Of our wrongs and our rights."

"And I sing, I want, I want,"
"Charles in Charge of me!"

Review: This is a guilty pleasure show starting with the revamped second season where they brought in the Powell family and changed the theme song to the more familiar sound. It's very cheesy, but I love it. Willie Aames is great as Buddy.

"He's gonna do my math homework. He's gonna clean my room. Look at him. Isn't this great! We own this guy. He's gonna do whatever we tell him."
"Go to bed!"

"How do I look?"
"Wash your face and burn those clothes."
"Too much rouge?"

"Charles, wait. Adam saw a nude model?"
"Uh, yeah. Mrs. Powell, I'm really sorry."
"It's partly my fault. I made you take Adam to the class. But when Rebbecca started to take off her clothes, the three of you could have walked out, couldn't you?"
"No!"

"Maybe this will refresh your libido. I submit a photograph of... Ta Da, the Defulvio sisters."
"Buddy, look, there are not enough hours in the day for me to eat, sleep, study and to meet these girls. Now I hate to say it, but I, umm... I, umm, going to have to give up sleeping."

"What about the student loan I have right now, the one that is supposedly under review?"
"Charles, let me explain something. From now on, the only way you're going to get any new government money is to declare yourself a third world country and flirt with communism."

"All I can say is phooey!"
"I know exactly how you feel, Mrs. Powell. When I heard they cancelled Charles' loan, I also said the F-word."
"P-H"
"Huh?"
"Phooey starts with P-H."
"I know."

"Buddy, let me ask you something? How important is this play to you?"
"How important is a parachute to a skydiver? How important is water to a carp? How important is balls... to a tennis player?"

"Sarah, this is important. Choosing the right lipstick is crucial. According to American Teen Magazine, your lips are your second greatest asset."
"What's my first?"
"You don't have them yet."

"If I forget one little thing I get in trouble."
"That's because you always do things right, Sarah. You're conscientious. People expect it of you. Jamie, on the other hand, is a little like me, cute and friendly but kind of a flake."
"Thanks a lot, Buddy!"
"It just isn't fair. Maybe I'll try being a flake for awhile."
"Nah, I don't think it would work. You see, good flakes are born, not made."

"C'mere Adam. Have a seat. What are you going to do with the tennis ball can?"
"Kevin and I are going to use it after school. Mom said it was okay."
"Oh, and what are you planning to put in the can?"
"Nothing, just some old rags."
"And maybe a little lighter fluid?"
"Yeah!"
"Then you strike a match and, POW, the tennis ball can is launched into outer space!"
"You know about that?"
"Uncle Buddy knows everything. Forget it Adam, your launch has been aborted."

"Okay, tell me again, exactly what she said."
"She said, I want your body."
"Ah, the most beautiful words in the English language."

4 out of 4 Stars

No comments: