Friday, November 29, 2013

Film: The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Blu Ray


Review: Of all the movies directed by Peter Jackson in Middle Earth, this is the only one where I wasn't disappointed right after the first viewing. With the previous Lord of the Rings films, I had to see them twice to appreciate the movies without comparing them to the novels. Instead of having to remove plot points to squeeze the books into the three LOTR films, Peter Jackson had to add a lot of new details to fill out the shorter Hobbit story. For the most part, I thought they did a good job of keeping the new material within the spirit of the book.

Some people thought the Unexpected Party section in Bag End was overlong, but I enjoyed every moment of it as they introduced all the main characters. I thought they did a clever job of incorporating the orc leader, Azog, from the appendices into the film as Thorin's main opponent. Bilbo's speech to Thorin after being reunited outside the Misty Mountains was very touching. The film ended on a good note with the company staring across Mirkwood to the Lonely Mountain in the distance.

Favorite Scene: Bilbo's encounter with Gollum at the Underground Lake. This was the most important scene from the book in the first movie and they did a wonderful job.

Quotes:
"Good morning."
"What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning. Or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?"
"All of them at once, I suppose."

"It's just the usual. Summary of out-of-pocket expenses, time required, remuneration, funeral arrangements, so forth."
"Funeral arrangements? Oh, up to but not exceeding one-fourteenth total profit, if any. Seems fair. Present company shall not be liable for injuries including but not limited to laceration, evisceration... incineration?"
"Oh, aye. He'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye."

"You will have to do without pocket handkerchiefs, and a great many other things, before we reach our journey's end, Bilbo Baggins. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you. The world is ahead."

"Is he lost?"
"Yes, yes, and I want to get unlost... as soon as possible!"
"Oh! We knows! We knows safe paths for hobbitses! Safe paths in the dark... SHUT UP!"
"I didn't say anything..."
"Wasn't talking to you!"

"Why don't we have a game of riddles and if I win, you show me the way out of here?"
"And if he loses? What then? Well, if he loses, Precious, then we eats it! If Baggins loses, we eats it whole!"
"Fair enough."

"I want to know. Why did you come back?"
"Look, I know you doubt me, I know you always have. And you're right... I often think of Bag End. I miss my books, and my armchair, and my garden. See, that's where I belong. That's home. That's why I came back... 'cause you don't have one... a home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back, if I can."

5 out of 5 Stars

No comments: