Friday, November 18, 2011

Film: Leaving Las Vegas (1995)

Blu-Ray


Review: A gritty film showing a hard-core drunk spiraling around the drain. Nicholas Cage does a outstanding job showing Ben's final descent as he uses a severance check to finance his last days in Las Vegas while revealing small hints of the successful and charismatic man before alcohol took control. He finds a soul-mate in Elisabeth Shue's prostitute, but it is too late to change his fate harnessed to the extreme edge of addiction. It is Sera's reactions to Ben's sickness that elevate the film to it high level.

Quotes:
"I came here to drink myself to death."
"How long will it take you?"
"I'd say about three to four weeks."

"Are you desirable? Are you irresistible? Maybe if you drank bourbon with me, it would help. Maybe if you kissed me and I could taste the sting in your mouth it would help. If you drank bourbon with me naked. If you smelled of bourbon as you fucked me, it would help. It would increase my esteem for you. If you poured bourbon onto your naked body and said to me 'drink this'. If you spread your legs and you had bourbon dripping from your breasts and your pussy and said, 'drink here', then I could fall in love with you."

"Don't you think you'd get a little bored, living with a drunk?"
"Well... that's what I want."
"You haven't seen the worst of it. I knock things over... throw up all the time. These past few days I've been very controlled. You're like some sort of antidote that mixes with the liquor and keeps me in balance. But, that won't last forever."

"We both know that I'm a drunk. And I know you are a hooker. I hope you understand that I am a person who is totally at ease with that. Which is not to say that I'm indifferent or I don't care, I do. It simply means that I trust and accept your judgment."

"You can never, ever ask me to stop drinking. Do you understand"?
"I do. I really do."

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: