Monday, May 31, 2010

Film: Pitch Black (2000)

DVD: Anamorphic
The Chronicles of Riddick - Pitch Black (Widescreen Unrated Director's Cut)

"He just escaped from a maximum prison."
"So do we just keep him locked up forever?"
"Well, that would be my choice."
"Is he really that dangerous?"
"Only around humans."

Review: This is an excellent sci-fi horror film about a transport ship crashlanding on a sun-blasted planet with deadly underground creatures who must remain in the dark. I forgive the coincidences of them crashing so close to an abandoned settlement on the eve of an eclipse because that is all just window dressing for the main conflict between the passengers trying to escape. Vin Diesel is great as the dangerous convict who must help out for them all to survive, but trust issues quickly surface.

"Excuse me, I think you should see this."
"Three suns?"
"Bloody Hell."
"So much for your nightfall."
"So much for my cocktail hour."

"Why don't you shut your fucking mouth for two seconds and let me come up with a plan that doesn't involve mass suicide!"
"I'm waiting... How much you weigh, Johns?"
"What's it matter, Carolyn?"
"How much?"
"Around 79 kilos, to be exact."
"Cause you're 79 kilos of gutless white meat. That's why you can't think of a better plan."

"Like I said, it ain't me you gotta worry about."

4 out of 5 Stars

No comments: