Sunday, March 03, 2013

Film: Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)

Blu-Ray


Review: This is my favorite of the Narnia books and I think they did a great job with the movie. Edmund and Lucy return to the magical world with their annoying cousin, Eustace, through a painting of a Narnian ship where they meet King Caspian as he sails across the sea to locate the seven exiled Lords of Telmar. I can see why they added a subplot about an evil mist emanating from the Dark Island to add an overarching enemy to the story since in the book they just sailed from island to island in the Dawn Treader encountering individual threats. I wish this film had the same higher budget as the first two films since the CGI in this one is a little weaker at times.

Quotes:
"Squirt? He barely has two years on me. I'm a king. I've fought wars and I've led armies."
"Not in this world."

"What's so fascinating about that picture, anyway? It's hideous."
"You won't see it from the other side of the door."
"Edmund, it looks like the water is actually moving."

"That giant rat thing just tried to claw my face off!"
"I was merely trying to expel the water from your lungs, sir."
"It talked! Did you see? Did anyone just hear that? It talked!"
"He always talks."
"Actually, it's getting him to shut up that's the trick."

"Since you left us, the Giants of the North surrendered unconditionally. Then we defeated the Calormen armies at the Great Desert. There is peace across all of Narnia."
"Peace?"
"In just three years."
"Hang on, if there are no wars to fight and no one is in trouble, then why are we here?"
"It's a good question. I've been asking myself the same thing."

"I'm not your subject."
"You've been waiting for this, haven't you? To challenge me? You doubt my leadership?"
"You doubt yourself."
"You're a child."
"And you're a spineless sap! I'm tired of playing second fiddle. First it was Peter and now it's you! You know I'm braver than both of you. Why do you get Peter's sword? I deserve a kingdom of my own. I deserve to rule."

"What was that? Is it a volcano?"
"Oh, no. That's no volcano. All hands on deck there. Archers, arm yourselves."

"Trouble sleeping? Now, now. All is not lost as it seems. I'll stay up with you if you wish... Keep you company. I'll wager you didn't even believe in dragons this morning. I could tell you one or two of my adventures if you like, to pass the time. Believe it or not, you're not the first dragon I've encountered. Many years ago, too many than I care to mention, I was with a band of pirates. I met another dragon, much fiercer than you..."

"So, what was it like... when Aslan changed you back?"
"No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it myself. Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt, but... it was a good pain. You know, like when you pull a thorn from your foot. Being a dragon wasn't all bad. I mean, I think I was a better dragon than I was a boy, really. I'm so sorry for being such a sop."

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars

No comments: